Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Healthy You Challenge Week 4 and Looking Great in 2008 Week 20

Well since my internet was down yesterday, I thought I would combine both of these and do one weigh in. The good news is that I am down from monday to 176, and down .4 from this time last week. So that is a positive thing. I needed that as I had a really really crappy day at work today, and then spent over 2 hours driving home in this awful snow we are having.

I wanted to revisit last week's topic of my post regarding exercise. First, thank you to everyone in the Healthy You Challenge that gave some suggestions on how to get exercise in. I agree.. there is no reason why I cant fit it in.

However I did a lot of thinking about why its so hard for me. Yes, there is the obvious, which is that I have a looong day at work and a 3 hour round trip commute. But it hit me the other day that the reason I cant focus much on exercise is because this weight loss thing occupies so much of my day and my thoughts.

It takes all of my energy just to get through an entire day and make healthy choices. Like I have said on many blogs, its about making the best choices that you can every day. And there are always choices. All around us. Today for example, I had my healthy lunch packed and everything. Then some coworkers tried to talk me into going out to lunch to a Thai place. With all of them asking over and over and begging me to come (especially since I partially wanted to get out of the office since I was at my breaking pt), it was hard to say no. But I did. I made the right decision, but it was hard and mentally exhausting. Or right now I would love to stuff my face with every imaginable food because I am stressed out, TOM is around the corner, and because it would feel good. But Im not. I am holding myself back and that right there is taking all of my available energy and mental processes. I want to be healthy. I want to be thin. To some people, these choices come naturally and easily. They do not for me. I know one day, this wont seem like such a struggle. Some days its not hard at all. Other days like today, it is a lot more difficult. The last thing on my mind is exercise. Its not an excuse, its just the way it is.

We need to set ourselves up to succeed throughout the day. I surround myself with healthy foods, healthy snacks at work, and plan my meals so that I know exactly what to turn to. I am not left helpless in search of something, anything, to fill a physical and emotional need in me. That helps a lot and its what gets me through days like today. But that alone is enough. I know I will reach a point in the future when I can do that naturally and then exercise will come a lot easier. And its not that I am "giving up" on exercise...I still challenge myself to exercise once a week as a starting point. However I realize now why I am finding this hard to get in, and how when I move in to maintenance, I can better focus on this area.

6 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

Congrats on the .4.

I understand having a hard time fitting things in during an already busy day. I had the 3 hour commute with 10 hour days, 6 to 7 days a week and it is so hard to fit things into your day. Thankfully I work from home for now but when I did work those long hours I'd sneak in exercise by taking the stairs, on my breaks walk around the building and use 10 minutes of my lunch to walk. By the end of the day I had put in 20 to 30 minutes of walking. Of course I couldn't do this every day but it was better than nothing.

Congrats on saying no to Thai especially when you wanted/needed to get out of the office. You have such strength and resilience and I consider you to be a great role model. Thank you!!

belly said...

love love LOVE your blog. i totally admire the earnest, yet hopeful way you convey your relationship with food.

your writing exudes a positivity and radiance that has me hooked! hope you don't mind if i give you a little shout out from my own little corner of the blogosphere.

oh yeah, and the fact that "accomplishments" in your categories has the highest number of posts? you totally rule.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

In the current Reader's Digest, there's a photo of someone walking on a treadmill while working at their desk. Thought that was pretty wild. I'm glad I don't work outside the home. Congrats on your loss!
Path to Health

Lauren said...

congrats on the loss.

Hanlie said...

Well done on the weight loss! And turning down the Thai. You're doing great!

Carleen said...

congrats on the loss.... your doing great!! Keep up the work and thanks for checking in on me

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket